Patron
account
Search the library catalogue:
  
 
     


Nowe skrzydło BG UMCS

About us
Library strukture

Collections

History

Galleries and exhibitions




Databases on trial

The latest foreign
publications
in MCSU Library

Academic staff publications

Google


Maria Curie-Skłodowska University


Universities and Colleges


in Lublin
in Poland
worldwide

Libraries and Catalogues


in Lublin
in Poland
worldwide

Digital libraries


The library yesterday and today


The foundation and the development of the Library are closely connected with the history of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University. Soon after its foundation (23 October 1944) the creation of the Library began.

The scope of the book collection was shaped by the transformations of the University. In its first years, the collection grew by publications in mathematical, natural, medical, veterinary and philosophical sciences mostly. The policy of expanding the collections changed as new faculties were created: law in 1949, the humanities in 1952, economy in 1965, pedagogy and psychology in 1973; and as others became independent (medical, pharmaceutical, agricultural). Nowadays, the Library’s collections are of universal character.

MCSU Main Library along with 20 specialist libraries form the University’s library-informational system. Its collections are made available to the students and staff members of its mother university and of other universities, as well as to all Lublin’s citizens. Therefore, it performs its function of an academic public library.

Since 1968, the Library has been located in the building in Radziszewskiego St. 11, sharing it with the Agricultural Academy Library and, to 2005, with the Polytechnics Library. In the beginning of the year 2000 some sections moved to the new wing of the building. The Main Library complex is situated in the centre of the university campus, constituting a characteristic element of its scenery.

(go up)